If you need to ripen a bunch of bananas quickly for baking banana bread, banana cake or any other recipe, here are a few pointers on speeding up the ripening process:
- Do not separate the bananas. They tend to ripen faster when connected.
- Put the bananas in a paper bag and seal. Add an apple or tomato to the bag to speed it up even more from the ethylene gas from those fruits.
- Put the bagged bananas in a warm place, such as near a heating vent or in the sun on your counter.
- This doesn’t count as ripening, but it will at least give you the desired texture – preheat your oven to 300 degrees, and warm your bananas in the oven until the skin turns black.
Here are a few recipes using bananas:
- Banana Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake with Caramelized Bananas